Heritage Open Day: A tour of the church & grounds explaining its 200 year old history This brick-built octagonal church sitting above York Street was constructed in 1820. The origins of the church go back to 1643 to Baptists who established a meeting house in 1655, but were persecuted following the restoration of the monarchy in 1660. Freedom of belief and form of worship as a Unitarian Church was agreed by members in 1916. Following Second World War damage, the chapel reopened in 1952.